Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mullumama/chithappa

He was Mullu mama on some occassions, chitappa on others dont know why,

first he was known to me when I ate at his wedding and when full meals were a luxury it was great !
and then we moved in into the partitioned house
I have been there for six years when there were many incidents and he, as always, stuck up for us in the house maybe contributing to  the cost of a peaceful married life, he did many things for me and some debts can never be repaid,

the long drives in the car to varied schools, the election campaign, driving at 1230 night till 230 in an ambassador only to have fish in the morning and driving back again for long distances in the day
and doing that again for days and days ,,,,,,
fish was his life,,,,as many know
he can drive for hours and drive people to desperation as well,
the varied news articles written at 4 am in the morning and typed at the local typing  shop,
going for different places to a mixed response from the newspaper intially
deciding oh that news paper is far off- let them get it from the PTI ( press trust of India)
surprised to find it actually published !!!
the relentless energy ( derives from the family trait !!!)
theabundant humour
never a dull moment with him always schemes around
still remember his idea of a website in 1995 for tamilians when i didnt even know what the internet was
the power of politics, the interactions with political figures, constant thinking of who needs what,
remember him calling me and saying lets buy a car from UK and take it to Chelva in guyana,,,


I am sorry that he was not happy with me in the end , i did try,,

Thanks for the memories
the kindness can never be repaid
he did a million times more for me than my father
I will miss him
Rest in peace
Ravi


2 comments:

kalpana said...

yes ravi ,
i will always remember the election campaign in the midst of our exams. what fun it was ,
the voting booths,
afternoon biriyani packets
and folding the election notices in such a way so that when the candidiate opened the cover , the first thing he would see was mamma s face ......

kalyani said...

Don't I know the fish! He would suddenly turn up at Ooty with kilos of fish that I would cook very inexpertly. I remember once when it was Dachu's bday party and I had to stop the preparations and focus on the fish. In those days, we would never dream of refusing him ; it was so ingrained in us to do whatever adults wanted.