Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Life's lessons

I have been thinking a lot ever since kallu asked me what would be my life's lessons ,
I dont think one thing alone could be taken as the only lesson,
All of us have regrets and that is life, There are things in life I could have and would have done differently and that goes for all of us
The one thing I have found useful is to be nice to everyone (within limits and as possible )
For example I used to give chocs to the medical staffing team clerks, the switchboard people whom noone ever gives and i found that they used to find me whereever i was if there was extra work !
I buy lunches for the nurses at weekend clinics and at one hosp due to the good reports from the nurses the hosp insisted that i should be sent rather than the other drs !
The small things in life do matter
In india i find the waiters and cleaners work for a pittance and i feel giving them extra will not make us poor but make them richer for a day which makes a huge difference to them,
I would hope one learns from others on how to live and also look at others and how not live
Focussing on the big picture is more important and not letting little things affect you ( and if a big thing affects you,make it a little thing !)
Luck is certainly important but to a large extent you need to make your own luck ( apart from winning the lottery )
I am at a stage when i looked a book title - how not to live your life - I didnt buy it because i was sure it will say dont be away from your family !!
for those who think this guy comes back every few weeks , i regret not being there for the daily mundane routine things and once the kids grow up
then there will be none of these and we will have to look at each other ( sri and I ) and keep wondering what to do !
Anyway its the thought of making sure the future is secure and comfortable for the children keeps me going

Lets see how long I can do this shuttle and holiday Dad things
Ravi

2 comments:

kalpana said...

ravi, that was along para on lifes lessons.
as usay old fashioned manners and being pleasant to all does help.
kapu

KALAI said...

ravi don't have regrets for being a holiday dad.u r doing much much more than many a stay at home dad does. n the truth is comparitively the kids love all the luxury we provide more than our presence without the luxuries. hard truth but that is the truth.